Light & refreshing, this Tropical Orange Jello Salad is loaded with mandarin oranges, pineapple, bananas and topped with a cloud of coconut flavored, sweetened sour cream. Sprinkle on a few sliced almonds and you have a delicious fruit salad or layered dessert that is perfect for cookouts, picnics, holidays, family dinners… or maybe just a lovely afternoon pick me up!
You may not think a body would get crazy excited about some Jello. But this… This sunshine concoction is absolutely that delicious. With just enough bright, citrusy orange gelatin to hold all that luscious tropical fruit together, this is more than just a jello salad. It’s a beach vacation on a spoon… Or maybe sunshine in a bowl… I think you’re going to have to decide. I’m too busy eating jello.
RELATED RECIPE: Layered Strawberry Jello Salad
And let’s talk about that topping. It really is a heavenly cloud of smooth and creamy sweetness. Lightly sweetened sour cream mixed with shredded coconut offer the perfect balance for all that bright citrus pop below. Some might even say the topping is really what this dessert is all about.
Orange Jello Fruit Salad Ingredients
- orange flavored gelatin
- mandarin oranges
- pineapple tidbits
- sour cream
- mint leaves & orange slices (optional)
Easy Steps to Make Orange Jello Salad
And what about how easy it is to make this Orange Jello Salad? Open some cans, slice some bananas, stir in some boiling water… that’s about it!
Who knew something so simple could be so refreshing & gorgeous? Trust me, it is!
Can I Use Fresh Fruit In My Jello Salad?
If it is fresh pineapple. It contains enzymes that keep gelatin from setting properly. Canned pineapple, however, is fine to use because the pasteurization process it undergoes in the cannine process kills the enzymes.
For a list of other fresh fruits to avoid in jello salads, visit this awesome article from Scientific American.
Other Fruit Salad & Jello Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Layered Strawberry Jello Salad
- Cherry Coca Cola Jello Salad
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream Dressing
- Blackberry Margarita Ambrosia
- Classic Fruit Salad with Old Fashioned Cream Sauce
Tropical Orange Jello Salad
- 2 3 oz boxes orange flavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 15 ounces canned mandarin oranges, well drained
- 20 ounces canned pineapple tidbits, well drained
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- extra coconut, mint leaves, orange slices to garnish, optional
- Whisk together gelatin and boiling water in a large mixing bowl. Gently fold in each kind of fruit, fully incorporating before adding the next. Pour or ladle gelatin and fruit into individual serving bowls or into a 9×13 baking dish. Place in refrigerator to set for 1-2 hours.
- Mix together sour cream, sugar and coconut and refrigerate until gelatin is set.
- When gelatin is set, top individual fruit salads with a dollop of the sour cream topping, sprinkle with sliced almonds and extra coconut. If using a 9×13 dish, top entire dish with sour cream layer. Finish the layer with the back of a spoon to create creamy waves. Top with sliced almonds and extra coconut.
Making It Easy To Host & Serve
For ideas and products to serve this jello salad at a party or to family and friends, visit the Southern Discourse Amazon Store. There I share serving pieces, glassware, cookware and other items I use in my own home, along with many of my favorite products for hosting, cooking and everyday living!