Creole Moose Munch Popcorn is a classic holiday treat made with popcorn, pecans, peanuts, butter toffee and chocolate caramel candies, covered with a golden caramel coating that has just a hint of a savory Louisiana kick!
Forget the expensive popcorn tins and make your own fancy snack with this homemade Moose Munch Recipe with a little Louisiana flair. A sweet and savory twist on the classic Harry & David’s gourmet popcorn, one bite is all it takes to get hooked on your new favorite snack!
Chocolate Caramel Popcorn with toffee bits, chocolate caramel candies and a chocolate drizzle is undeniably sweet by nature. That’s where a little creole goodness comes in. Just the right amount of smoky, savory, saltiness balances out all those sweets to create some serious caramel popcorn magic that is guaranteed impossible to put down!
The Engineer outright swears by it. Claiming it to be “Excellent!” in one breath and muttering “dangerous” in the next. And while that keeps me amused, one thing is for sure. It never lasts long once he gets started!
Creole Moose Munch Ingredients
- plain popcorn
- unsalted peanuts
- pecan pieces
- chocolate covered caramels
- toffee baking bits
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- light corn syrup
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
How To Make Creole Moose Munch Popcorn
Prep. Gather and measure out all ingredients. Unwrap chocolate caramel candies (I also like to cut some of the caramels in half). Candy making goes quickly, so it’s best to be prepared!
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with non stick cooking spray and arrange popcorn evenly over the paper. Sprinkle peanuts and pecans evenly over the popcorn.
Make Caramel. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, let butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powders and cayenne pepper come to a low boil it reaches 230° Fahrenheit. Then remove from it from the stove and pour it over the popcorn and nuts. Stir with wooden spoons to evenly coat and then press back into an even layer in the pan.
Bake. Bake coated popcorn and nuts in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, taking the pan out and stirring every 15 minutes with the wooden spoons to recoat popcorn and nuts and rearrange into an even layer.
Add Candies and Drizzle. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate caramel candies and toffee baking bits evenly across the popcorn and nuts. Gently press candies into the popcorn with the back of the wooden spoon.
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle across the top of the popcorn, nuts and candy. Allow chocolate to set up, then break Moose Munch up into pieces.
How To Store & Gift Moose Munch Popcorn
This popcorn lasts about a week (if your people don’t gobble it up first!) if stored in an air tight container. A candy or gift tin is great for this!
Speaking of, Creole Moose Munch makes a uniquely delicious gift at the holidays! For some, it’s even a Christmas candy/gift tradition. So beware, once you give it, you might be asked to make it every year!
When giving this fancy popcorn, I love to bag it up in cellophane treat bags and place it in these little red pails with a little ribbon and gift tag. It’s perfect for friends, neighbors, co-workers and teachers! If you’re wanting to gift a larger batch, then these air tight tins lined with parchment paper are a great option too!
Other Sweet Snack Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut & Chocolate Christmas Snack Mix
- Honey Spiced Pecans
- Blueberry Muddy Buddy Snack Mix
- Ritz Bits Muddy Buddies Snack
- The Best Hot Chocolate Snack Mix
- Apple Spice Caramel Popcorn
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Creole Moose Munch Popcorn
- 8.5 cups plain popped popcorn
- ¾ cups unsalted peanuts
- ¾ cups rough chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chocolate covered caramel candies
- ¼ cup toffee baking bits
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250° Fahrenheit.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with non stick cooking spray. Arrange popcorn evenly over parchment paper. Add peanuts and pecans by sprinkling evenly over popcorn. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in corn syrup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powders and cayenne pepper. Bring to a low boil. Let boil, stirring occasionally, until caramel reaches 230° Fahrenheit. Remove from heat and pour over popcorn and nuts. Stir with 2 wooden spoons or wooden spatulas to evenly coat, then press back into an even layer in the pan.
- Place pan of coated popcorn and nuts in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, taking the pan out and stirring every 15 minutes with the wooden spoons to recoat popcorn and nuts and rearrange into an even layer.
- Remove popcorn from oven. Sprinkle chocolate caramel candies and toffee baking bits evenly across the popcorn and nuts. Gently press candies into the popcorn with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate across the top of the popcorn, nuts and candy. Allow chocolate to set up, then break Moose Munch up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.