Rich & creamy homemade Fettuccine Alfredo is an easy pasta side dish that you can enjoy any night of the week, even those busy weeknights! This simple recipe comes together in just 20 minutes and is bathed in a flavorful 5 ingredient sauce of Parmesan cheese, warm, melted butter, dreamy cream, savory broth and garlic.
What You Need To Make Easy Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 tsp olive oil
- cream (or half & half)
- chicken broth
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- salt & coarse ground black pepper
- fresh parsley (optional)
Move over potatoes and rice! Here comes a big bowl of comforting pasta in a heavenly cream sauce that will complement almost any meal. Fit for holidays and dates, but quick and easy enough for a busy Tuesday night, this simple Fettuccine Alfredo will have you rethinking what side dishes are all about.
Because let’s be honest, any recipe that starts with butter, garlic and cream has got to be a winner. And winner it is. Kids love it. Grown ups swoon for it. You just might ditch the main dish and dive straight into this side if given a choice. But if you can manage to wait for the whole meal, Easy Fettuccine Alfredo is perfect with steaks, pork chops, chicken or shrimp.
Tips for Perfect Fettuccine Alfredo Every Time
- Make sure you salt the water you boil your pasta in. This seasons the pasta, giving it a velvety rich taste. Bland pasta makes for a less than enjoyable dish. If you’re not sure of how much salt should be in your pasta’s water, think ocean.
- 1 tsp of olive oil in the pasta water keeps the pasta from sticking together while cooking. Additionally, making sure the water is at a rolling boil, placing the pasta in the pot whole and gently stirring as it gets soft and completely submerges into the water will make sure the pasta doesn’t stick together while cooking.
- Always grate your own cheese when you can. This recipe uses shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese, NOT the powdered, stuff that doesn’t have to refrigerated.
- Al dente pasta makes for the best pasta dishes. Here’s why.
- Heavy cream or half & half is key for a thick, luscious sauce. If you want your sauce thinner, add more broth or even a little pasta water.
- Serve immediately after cooking. Alfredo sauce will begin dry out as it sits.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Easy Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1.5 C heavy cream (or half & half)
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 2 C shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- chopped fresh parsley optional garnish
- Add water to a large pot and place over high heat on the stove top. Salt the water and add 1 tsp olive oil. Bring water to a boil. Add fettuccine. Cook to al dente according to instructions on pasta package. Drain pasta in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Place pasta pot back on stove top. Turn heat down to low. Add butter and garlic. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and garlic is browned.
- Whisk in broth, salt & pepper. While continuing to whisk, add cream. Let cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisking occasionally.
- Add Parmesan cheese 1 C at a time. Whisk until melted and well incorporated before adding the next cup.
- Add drained pasta back to past pot. Toss in sauce, spoon into serving dish and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and extra black pepper, if desired.
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!