Loaded with salted peanuts and layer of vanilla ice cream on an easy homemade Oreo crust and topped with the best fudgey chocolate topping you’ve ever tasted, this homemade, family-sized take on Dairy Queen’s Buster Bar is one of those summer treats that is just knock-your-socks off good.
What You Need To Make A Buster Bar Dessert
- Oreo cookies
- vanilla ice cream
- salted peanuts
- chocolate chips
- evaporated milk
- powdered confectioner’s sugar
I first had this dessert at a Wednesday night church potluck. That right there is enough to tell you it’s good. But the story doesn’t stop there. As I went on the hunt to find out how to make it, I discovered the complete recipe in a little local cookbook, self-published by a Louisiana women’s civic group. I knew right then the recipe was solid gold. Those are my kind of cookbooks, written by my kind of people, full of my kind of food.
The recipe is a fairly easy one. I either crush my Oreos in a plastic zip top bag or pulse them lightly in my food processor to make the quick crust.
Spreading the ice cream layer can be tricky, but the secret is to scoop out the ice cream onto the crust in 3-4 giant scoops (see photo) and gently push, or massage, the ice cream out to the edges of the pan and into the gaps between the scoops. No back and forth strokes! That’s when the cookie crumbs from the crust get caught up in the ice cream and everything gets messy.
The same technique works like a charm for that decadently smooth and dreamy chocolate fudge layer too.
The hardest thing is the waiting for this dessert to re-freeze and set up after you put it together. My freezer gets plenty of fly-bys and nosey looks as my kids and The Engineer constantly check to see if it’s ready. It’s ready to eat in 1-2 hours, but overnight is best if you plan to take it anywhere.
If you’re looking for a little summer nostalgia or just an unbelievably delicious and fudgey summer treat, this, my friends, is where it’s at!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Buster Bar Ice Cream Dessert
- 1 14.3 oz pkg. of Oreo cookies, crushed
- ½ C butter, melted
- ½ gal. vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 lb. Spanish peanuts
- 2 C powdered confectioner's sugar
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C butter
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- Combine crushed cookies and butter. Press into bottom of 9×13 dish. Spoon softened vanilla ice cream over crushed cookie crust. Cover with peanuts and place in freezer to set while making chocolate topping.
- Using a whisk, combine powdered sugar, butter, chocolate chips and milk in a large sauce pan over medium heat until chips melt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Let cool completely.
- Pour topping over dessert and work to edges. Freeze until firm. Soften in refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Other Delicious Desserts You’ll Love
- Elvis Ice Cream Sandwiches
- No Churn Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream
- Creamy Mocha Popsicles
- Gooey Black Bottom Pecan Pie Brownies
- Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet Cake