Tuscan Butter Mushrooms are a heavenly delicious side dish of tender baby Portabella mushrooms simmered slow in a creamy garlic butter sauce punctuated with bright tomatoes, wilted spinach and a sprinkle of bacon. We are talking nothing less than roll-back-the-clouds good when spooned over a juicy steak, grilled chops, salmon or even atop pasta or potatoes. It seems so fancy, but hold on to your angle wings, because it’s really oh-so easy to make!
What You Need To Make Tuscan Butter Mushrooms
- baby Bella mushrooms
- white wine (or chicken broth)
- heavy cream
- cherry tomatoes
- tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning
Anything that starts out with ‘Tuscan butter’ you just know is going to be good. And rightly so. Tuscan butter starts out with a base of real butter and slowly layers in the rich flavors of sauteed garlic, onions, tomatoes, and a little white wine. This recipe takes that richness one step further by starting this butter sauce in cast iron skillet with just a smidge of bacon drippings. The result? A thick, simmering sauce with absolutely transcendent aromas!
The addition of a little cream and Parmesan cheese are the final touches. As the herbs, spices, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach simmer together, such a marriage of flavors is taking place that your relationship with side dishes might not ever be the same!
This is truly one of those side dishes that’s so full of rich and lovely flavors, you’ll be dreaming up all sorts of ways you can serve it. And while the heavenly hosts probably won’t really show up when these mushrooms grace your table, just one taste is all takes to know you’ve experienced something divine!
Tuscan Butter Mushrooms
- 4 slices thick sliced bacon, reserve drippings
- 1 lb baby Bella mushrooms, washed and dried
- 4 Tbsp real butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 C white wine (substitute with chicken broth, if desired)
- 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 C heavy cream
- ½ C shaved Parmesan
- 3 C spinach
- Cook bacon in large skillet. Set aside on a paper towel to remove excess grease, then rough chop. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from skillet. Keep all the drippings in the bottom of the skillet.
- Add butter to skillet with bacon grease and drippings. Stir while melting to scrape any bits from the bottom of skillet. Add diced onion. Saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add white wine or broth and scrape again to make sure all the bits from the bottom of the skillet are removed.
- Add tomato paste. Stir to completely incorporate. Add tomatoes, salt, peppers, Italian seasoning. Stir and let simmer until tomatoes just begin to cook down.
- Add mushrooms. Coat with sauce and let low simmer for five minutes
- Reduce heat further and stir in cream and Parmesan cheese. Slowly stir until the cream and the butter sauce is well blended. Incorporate spinach and bacon. Let spinach wilt. Serve as a side dish or atop pasta or potatoes.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Sauteed Green Beans with Mushrooms & Bacon
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Creamy Wild Rice & Portabella Soup
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese & Garlic
- Herbed Steak Butter with Goat Cheese & Bacon
- Italian Green Bean Salad
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!