Whip up the cozy, familiar feels of home with comforting Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with Portabella Mushrooms. Loaded with carrots, celery, onion, rich wild rice, chicken, sliced mushrooms and a luscious creamy base, this easy homemade soup recipe is guaranteed to warm you heart and soul.
This soup is one of my all time favorites. I call it my fancy soup. The colors, the delicate, creamy base and the absolutely divine layers of flavor and texture… All come together in one well-orchestrated, exquisite soup that we all look forward to when the temperatures drop.
And even though I might call it fancy, don’t imagine you’ll go away hungry. This soup is a true one pot meal, only enhanced by some good crusty bread. Quintessential comfort food, this chicken and rice soup is as hearty and filling as it is marvelously delcious.
What You Need To Make Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- carrots (I use chopped match stick carrots as a short cut.)
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
- chicken broth
- chicken (rotisserie chicken from your grocery is an easy short cut)
- red wine
- heavy cream or half & half
- Uncle Ben’s Original Recipe Wild Rice (or Uncle Ben’s Fast Cook Wild Rice for another short cut) Using this sort of prepared rice brings loads of flavor to the dish without a lot of work.
How To Make Chicken And Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
Make the base. In a large stockpot, melt butter and add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Sautee until the onions begin to be translucent. This is a standard start for any good soup.
Layer in the flavor. Stir in sliced mushrooms and a little of the chicken broth and let the mushrooms cook down a little. Add the rest of the broth, the red wine and the chicken. Let these flavors dance and simmer and marry before adding the cream.
Add the finishing touches. To finish the soup, briskly stir in those wonderous splashes of cream and add salt, pepper and prepared wild rice. Let cook for a few more minutes. Then ladle up and serve your delicious soup!
Make Ahead Tips
This soup is great for making ahead of time. Simply make the soup as directed WITHOUT adding the rice. Prepare the rice separately, and store both the soup and the rice in the refrigerator for up to 2 days until you are ready to serve.
When you’re ready, remove both from the fridge. Heat the soup on medium to low heat on the stove top while stirring frequently. When wam, fold in the rice. Heat all the way through and serve!
Freezing and Slow Cooker Notes
This soup, like other soups with cream, doesn’t freeze well as the dairy tends to separate and could curdle when being reheated. However, if not made ahead, leftovers can be stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator when covered tightly. A little more cream or broth can be used when reheating.
This recipe is best when made on the stove top. And if all of the short cut suggestions listed with the ingredients above, it’s possible to have this soup on the table in about 30-40 minutes.
However, if using a slow cooker, or crock pot, is a must, then follow the steps below for a true slow cooker recipe that doesn’t have you cooking everything beforehand and just adding it to the crock pot to warm.
- You must use rotisserie chicken or other prepared chicken.
- Cut butter into pats and add all ingredients to slow cooker, including uncooked rice and seasoning packet. Add an extra 1-2 C broth for uncooked rice. Stir together. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until rice and vegetables are tender.
Nothing says dinner like a big pot of homemade soup. Happy wintering!
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Cozy French Onion Soup
- Short Cut Cauliflower & Parmesan Soup
- Creamy Chicken & Ravioli Soup
- Italian Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
- Farmhouse Cheese Soup
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 C diced carrots (I chop match stick carrots as a short cut.)
- 2/3 C diced yellow onion
- 2/3 C diced celery
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1.5 lb chicken, boiled & shredded (or rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 C red wine
- 16 oz heavy cream (half & half can be substituted)
- 1 box Uncle Ben’s Original Recipe (or fast cook) Wild Rice, cooked according to instructions
- In a stockpot, melt butter. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Sautee until onions are clear.
- Add mushrooms and 1/2 C of the chicken broth. Simmer 5-10 or until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the rest of the broth, chicken and red wine. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, salt, pepper and fold in prepared rice. Simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with a little chopped Parsley before serving if desired.
Recipe Originally Shared Jan. 2016.