Using a shortcut or two, Italian Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach is a quick and easy supper that’s perfect when you want something homemade but you don’t want to stand in the kitchen all day! With a rich tomato soup base, refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini, ground sausage and baby spinach, this is simple comfort food everyone will love!
What You Need To Make Italian Tortellini Soup
- refrigerated cheese tortellini
- ground sausage
- baby spinach
- tomato puree & sauce
- chicken broth
- Italian seasoning, salt & pepper
Like any good soup, this Italian tortellini soup starts off with a little onion, garlic and carrots sauteed in butter. Thanks to the butter, this simple soup ends up being the perfect balance of fat, salt, acid and heat when it’s complete.
Chicken broth also adds a depth and richness to the soup base before adding the tomato sauce and puree. Spices, sausage and cheese tortellini go in, and it all gets piping hot and bubbly before we take it off the heat and add the spinach.
We just want the spinach to wilt and not cook down. It’s vibrant green is a happy contrast to the rich, dark red of this easy soup.
When we’re ready to dish this up, a little grated Parmesan is always a welcome addition. If you’re daring, a few red pepper flakes too!
Soup is always a good choice for nourishing your family. And you don’t have to cook all day to create deep, rich flavor or serve a homemade dish. I’ve got a few shortcuts in the notes of the printable recipe card to make this soup even easier. This is comfort food you can get on your table in 30 minutes or less!
Italian Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
- (1) 28 oz. can tomato puree
- (2) 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 20 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 10 oz. ground sausage browned
- 4 C baby spinach rough chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/4 C carrots diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- In a large stock pot, melt butter. Add diced onion, carrots and minced garlic. Sautee until onions are translucent. Add broth. Simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and sauce. Simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Add tortellini, ground sausage and spices. Simmer 7 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Stir in chopped baby spinach. Remove from heat. Let spinach wilt.
- Serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Chop matchstick carrots for finely diced carrots.
- Use pre-cooked sausage crumbles.
What You Need to Make & Serve Italian Tortellini Soup
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!