Pulling a pan of fresh homemade Peanut Butter Cookies with their comforting, buttery-rich aroma from the oven is like holding a batch of childhood memories! Simple, classic and everything you remember, you’re going to love this easy recipe that delivers soft peanut butter cookies with their signature crisscross design.
RELATED RECIPE: Best Ever Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
There’s nothing that creates memories like a plate of homemade cookies. And who doesn’t remember eating soft, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookies after school or for dessert?
Thank goodness those days aren’t over with this easy recipe!
Why You’ll Love These Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- They are easy to make with basic ingredient you probably already have!
- This peanut butter cookie recipe has loads of peanut butter flavor from a FULL CUP of peanut butter.
- The addition of brown sugar means a little extra moistness in the recipe.
- They taste just like you remember… maybe even better!
- These cookies are perfect for freezing and storing, but they are really at their best when shared with friends or neighbors.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients
- creamy peanut butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- baking powder
What Kind of Peanut Butter Should I Use?
I recommend a creamy, processed peanut butter (like Jif) for best results. The smooth, consistent texture makes the best cookies.
Can I Use Natural Peanut Butter?
Natural peanut butter can be used to make peanut butter cookies as long as you know:
- Natural peanut butter will make a drier cookie than a name-brand processed peanut butter. The difference in sugar content doesn’t make much difference, but do make sure your natural peanut butter is salted.
- Natural peanut butter also needs to be mixed very well and consistently throughout if you’re going to make cookies with it. I recommend taking it out of the jar, mixing it with a mixer or emulsifier to make sure it is consistently mixed.
How to Make Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
Mix the dry ingredients. Use a fork to mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients. With an electric mixer, mix together peanut butter, sugars and butter. Add vanilla and then eggs, one at a time.
Combine and Roll Into Balls. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, and then use a tablespoon to scoop out the cookie dough and roll into 1 inch dough balls. (If the dough is creamy and very soft, refrigerate 30 minutes before rolling into balls.)
Make the Hashmarks. Gently press the tines of a fork onto the top of the dough balls to make the signature criss cross pattern.
Bake. Bake for 7-8 minutes, just until the edges become golden brown. Remove from oven. Cookies must cool for several minutes in order to set. Enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Peanut Butter Cookies
- Use real butter. Margarine does not deliver the same results.
- Room temperature butter and eggs make the best baked goods.
- When mixing the butter and sugars together, mix just until creamy. Over mixing the butter will result in flat cookies.
- Spoon your flour into the measuring cup instead of scooping from the bag or container. Scooping with the measuring cup will pack the flour and will result in 1/4-1/3 cup too much flour in your recipe.
- Bake these cookies just until they begin to turn golden around the edges. Cookies will continue to cook and set as they cool. Over baking will make crisp cookies instead of soft cookies.
- Dip your peanut butter cookies in melted milk or dark chocolate for magical chocolate-dipped peanut butter cookies!
- Add in 1/2-2/3 cup of chopped unsalted peanuts for extra peanut-ty goodness!
Storing or Freezing Peanut Butter Cookies
Stored in an air tight container or zip top bag, homemade peanut butter cookies will last up to 1 week.
These cookies can be frozen too. Layer cookies in a freezer safe container or bag with parchment paper in between to keep cookies from freezing together. Let sit out to come to room temperature before serving.
Other Homemade Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Perfect Coconut Cookies with Pecans
- Fudgy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Best Ever Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Lemon Drop Crinkle Cookies
- Coconut Thumbprint Macaroons
If You Love Easy Cookie Recipes & Have Made These Give It All The Stars & Leave A Fun Comment! Or Tag Me @SouthernDiscourse On Instagram To Be Featured. I Love Hearing From You!
Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix together baking soda, powder, and flour. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, mix together peanut butter, sugars, and softened butter. Don't over mix.
- Add vanilla to the peanut butter mixture. Then add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Add flour to peanut butter mixture and mix until combined. Cookie dough will be very creamy. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator 30 minutes to overnight.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out chilled cookie dough and roll into 1 inch balls. Then roll balls in granulated sugar. Place on prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Use a fork to make the signature crisscross pattern.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes. Cookies should still be pale, but golden around the edges. Don't over bake.
- Cookies must cool for several minutes so they can set before moving them from the baking sheet to a cooling rack.
- Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.
[…] 12-16 soft peanut butter cookies (click here for recipe) […]