This light summer watermelon salad is a refreshing combo crunchy, sweet and spicy! Bursting with ripe summer produce, Spicy Strawberry Watermelon Salad is cool side dish made for hot days, cookouts, BBQs and fish frys.
Light and refreshing, this easy watermelon salad loaded with sweet, summer flavor! Juicy watermelon, ripe strawberries, and crunchy cucumbers are perfectly balanced with the tanginess of lightly pickled red onions, fresh basil and a little jalapeno heat.
RELATED RECIPE: Berry Watermelon Fruit Salad
All tossed in a simple garlic honey vinaigrette that also serves as the pickling marinade for the onion and jalapenos, this peak of summer fruit salad literally dances on the taste buds when served with any of your grilling favorites, Shrimp Salad Sandwiches or simply as a light lunch!
Spicy Watermelon Salad Ingredients
- small seedless watermelon
- cucumber (English)
- red onion
- jalapeno pepper
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- white vinegar
- minced garlic
- salt & cracked black pepper
How to Make Spicy Strawberry Watermelon Salad with Cucumber
- Make the pickling marinade/ dressing by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and garlic. Add the sliced onion and jalapeno pepper. Set them aside to marinate/pickle while the rest of the salad is prepped.
- In a large bowl, add cubed watermelon, quartered strawberries, sliced cucumbers and basil. Pour dressing/marinade with sliced jalapeno and onion over salad and toss. Top with feta and extra cracked black pepper.
What to Serve with Watermelon Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Foil Packets
- Crock Pot BBQ Beef Pot Roast
- Homemade Cornmeal Fish Fry Mix
- Easy Southern Salmon Patties
- Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
Make Ahead Of Time & Storing Instructions
This salad is best eaten the day it is prepared; however, the leftovers can be stored for up to one day, covered tightly in the refrigerator.
To make it ahead of time, simply prep the watermelon, strawberries and cucumber. Store separately in the refrigerator. Make the dressing/pickling marinade, slice the onion and pepper and add to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Assemble salad the salad the next day.
Add Ins & Substitutions
A couple of tablespoons of thinly sliced fresh mint really amps up the cool, freshness of this salad. Don’t like feta cheese? Try creamy goat cheese or small mozzarella pearls instead.
Other Watermelon Recipes You’ll Love
- Melon Salad with Rotisserie Chicken & Garlic Vinaigrette
- Fun Watermelon Toppings Bar
- Summery Watermelon Bruschetta
- Watermelon Sparklers
- Berry Watermelon Fruit Salad
If You Love Tasty Summer Salads & Have Made This Recipe, Give It All The Stars & Leave A Fun Comment! Or Tag Me @SouthernDiscourse On Social Media To Be Featured. I Love Hearing From You!
Spicy Strawberry Watermelon Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 large jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 cup sliced & halved English cucumber
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crumbled feta
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and garlic. Add sliced onion and jalapeno pepper. Stir to coat and set aside to marinate/pickle while the rest of the salad is prepped.
- In a large bowl, add cubed watermelon, quartered strawberries, sliced cucumbers and basil. Pour dressing/marinade with sliced jalapeno and onion over salad. Toss. Top with feta and extra cracked black pepper.
Leave a Reply