This is not your average fried rice! Another one of Phil Hickerson’s specialties learned from Tojo Yamamoto, this fried rice is loaded with plenty of veggies and extras. Serve it as it is for an extra special side dish or add some stir fried chicken, pork, or shrimp to create a flavorful one dish meal.
Soy sauce is what gives fried rice it’s trademark golden brown color. If you happen to add too much soy for your taste, simply add more rice.
Phil's Hearty Fried Rice
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ C carrots diced
- ½ C onion diced
- ½ C small
- ¼ C mushrooms sliced
- 1 C frozen yellow corn
- 1 C frozen green peas
- 2-3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3-4 C prepared white rice
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ C sliced water chestnuts
- Add 2 tablespoon cooking oil to wok or deep sautee pan and heat on stove top on medium high heat.
- Add bacon, cooking just until soft.
- Add eggs and scramble.
- Add carrots and onion. Stir fry one minute.
- Add mushrooms and water chestnuts. Stir fry until mushrooms begin to shrink.
- Add corn and peas. Stir fry for 1-2 more minutes and veggies are crisp tender.
- Toss with 2-3 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Add prepared rice. Toss and stir until coated with soy and golden brown
To read about Phil’s visit to my kitchen and his ‘Down for the Count’ Pineapple Chicken recipe, click here.