Easy Italian Tomato & Spinach Tortellini Soup
A cheesy tomato-based, family-style Italian soup with tortellini and wilted spinach. Perfect for those cold days or nights you need a quick supper.Print Pin
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ C flour
- 3 C chicken stock
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 C grated parmesan
- 10-12 oz spinach rough chopped
- 1 C half and half
- ⅓ C basil chopped
- Over medium heat, melt butter in medium-sized stock pot. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add flour. Stirring constantly for one minute until it makes a paste.
- Add broth. Stir well-blended.
- Stir in one can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Puree the second can of diced tomatoes and add to the soup base.
- Add the tortellini and let simmer until the pasta is tender.
- When pasta is tender, add parmesan ½ C at a time, stirring until melted before adding another.
- Stir in half and half.
- Add spinach and allow to wilt.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add basil before serving.
Italian sausage is a hearty add-in for this easy family-style soup.
If you haven’t had the chance, take a minute to check out these other great soups from this month!