CLASSIC MINT JULEP
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup* (see below)
- Finely crushed ice
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) bourbon
- 1 (4-inch) cocktail straw or coffee stirrer
- 1 fresh mint sprig
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Place mint leaves and Mint Simple Syrup in a chilled julep cup (or lo ball). Gently press leaves against cup with back of spoon to release flavors. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice. Insert straw, place mint sprig directly next to straw, and serve immediately. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 10 to 12 fresh mint sprigs
Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil, stirring often, 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add mint, and let cool completely. Pour into a glass jar; cover and chill 24 hours. Remove and discard mint.
Photo & Recipes courtesy of southernliving.com